UK independent loss assessor, help with insurance claims

Independent Insurance Claim Loss Assessor

Call now on 020 3000 7898


Calculating Rebuilding Costs & VAT

A: Calculating rebuilding costs

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer – except maybe – so let’s take a closer look at why that is so, within the wider context of rebuilding costs in general.

Rebuilding costs

When arranging any kind of property insurance – whether it is owner occupied, buy to let or commercial – the total building sum insured typically anticipates the worst case scenario in which the property is completely destroyed and needs to be reconstructed.

Such a catastrophic event – like a fire raging out of control, for instance – may result in what is known as a total loss and the building sum insured represents the maximum amount the insurer is obliged to pay out in the settlement of any claim.

To make sure that the property you own may be rebuilt or reinstated, therefore, it is important that the total building sum insured is equivalent to the cost of rebuilding it.

When calculating a property’s rebuilding costs, it is important to remember that this is just what it means – the cost of reconstructing the building and not its current market value or whatever you happened to pay for it.

The cost of building works naturally varies over time and you might want to consult the online rebuilding and reinstatement cost calculator maintained by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or commission a surveyor or valuer to estimate the current reconstruction costs.

The cost of reconstruction involves far more than rebuilding works, however. As a first step, any remaining parts of the structure may need to be demolished and the site cleared. The services of surveyors, architects and engineers may also be needed to draw up plans for the new works. Solicitors may need to be instructed to take care of the legal requirements and you are likely to have to pay for applications for planning permission.

If the building was of non-standard construction, a listed building, Graded building or one with a thatched roof, your calculation of rebuilding costs may need to take into account the convoluted process of gaining planning permission, the sourcing of more difficult to find materials and the hiring of specialist tradesmen and craftsmen to do the work. This is when you are almost certain to require the professional services of a qualified surveyor.


Each one of those elements making up the total cost of rebuilding your property might attract VAT.

But tax matters are rarely anything but complicated and the answer as to whether VAT needs to be included in your calculations depends on a number of circumstances.

A briefing paper prepared by the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters (CILA), for example, explains that new building and rebuilding the whole of a destroyed property is zero-rated for VAT purposes, although it remains payable on demolition costs and professional fees (and the appropriate allowance is built into the reconstruction cost calculator published by RICS).

With respect to commercial property, the situation is more complicated still and depends on whether the owner is VAT registered or not. VAT registered companies, for example, are able to reclaim VAT on reconstruction costs (so these do not need to be incorporated into the total building sum insured).

If the owner is unable to recover VAT – as in the case of a residential landlord or property investment company, where no VAT is applied to rents collected – the tax liability needs to be included in any reconstruction or reinstatement costs. This is also the case where a small to medium sized company is not registered for the payment of VAT.

In order to avoid the risk of underinsurance, therefore, CILA advises that VAT liabilities need to be included in the calculation of rebuilding costs.”

Loss assessors help with water & flood damage insurance claims
Loss assessors help with fire damage insurance claims
Loss assessors help with storm & weather damage insurance claims
Loss assessors help with subsidence & structural damage insurance claims
Loss assessors help with burglary insurance claims
Loss assessors help with business interruption insurance claims

Call us now for a free telephone consultation about your claim on 020 3000 7898

Or email us and we'll call you back

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Professional Memberships

✔ Authorised and regulated by the
Financial Conduct Authority

✔ Member of the
Society Of Claims Professionals (SOCP)

✔ Member of the
Chartered Insurance Institute (CII)

Certified Claims Management - UK loss assessors helping with property related insurance claims, dealing with insurance company loss adjusters, maximising your payment, minimising settlement time and reducing hassle.

  • Fire damage
  • Water & flood damage
  • Storm damage
  • Subsidence
  • Burglary
  • Business Interruption
  • Bad Faith Insurance Practices
facebook logo for UK loss assessors    blogspot logo for UK loss assessors    linkedin logo for UK loss assessors

Certified Claims Management are UK based specialist loss assessors in all aspects of insurance claims management and can assist in the preparation and presentation of all domestic and commercial insurance claims resulting from fire, flood, storm, water, burglary, impact damage, subsidence or blocked drains. We work to balance your insurance company's Loss Adjuster's goal of minimising the settlement offer. We are also experienced at exposing and dealing with "Bad Faith Insurance Practices". We work for both the public and businesses. Need advice? Call our team of loss assessors to discuss your insurance claim today on:

020 3000 7898

©2024 Certified Claims Management

Site by mza